Saturday, September 02, 2006

Trouble ahead, trouble behind

The idea behind scheduling a I-AA team is to get your team an easy early-season victory (because the NCAA lets you count one win vs. I-AA competition per season toward bowl eligibility. If they let you count four, most I-A teams would have an all-I-AA non-conference schedule (except for conferences with fewer than nine teams).

Of course, that doesn't always happen. But usually, what the I-A team gets is little better than an intrasquad scrimmage.

I like to think of it on the same level as exhibition games in the NFL. I don't pay much attention when people do well, but I do take notice when people play poorly. If that's something to follow, then Purdue is in trouble this season.

35 points allowed. Two miscues on the punting team (on consecutive attempts) – a blocked punt and a mishandled snap – and a missed extra point. Just over 50% passing by the starting QB.

The good news is that Purdue will face two MAC teams at home before their schedule picks up a bit. The bad news is that Purdue is only 8-2 against the MAC under Tiller.

Hello? Is this the Alamo Bowl? Do you think you could squeeze us in again? You know we travel well ... hold on, I've got El Paso on the other line.

No comments:

Post a Comment