Wednesday, September 06, 2006

No juice, I've had my Phil

Good to know I'm not the only purist out there. Dan Wetzel has an article on Yahoo! about Ryan Howard's remarkable season and what might happen if he hits a few more home runs.

I don't know if he goes to the extremes that I do, muting the TV every time ESPN breathlessly announces another Barry Bonds, well, anything, but I am glad I'm not the only one who considers the current single-season home run record to be 61. (Strangely enough, I thought Luis Gonzalez had hit 60 once. He didn't, but he definitely had Brady Anderson disease. Make of that what you will.)

It's also true that we don't know what, if anything, Howard's taking. I'm willing to believe he's clean for now. Besides, both Floyd Landis and Marion Jones were doing everything but rolling in it while they were trying to convince us they were clean. Howard's worst offense at the moment is playing baseball, and we can hardly fault him for the fact that Bud wouldn't notice a cheater if he shook hands with one.

Then again, personally, if Bud's actually going to fix something in baseball before he goes back to ruining the Brewers, I'd rather have him open the door of the owners' club and throw David Glass and Jeffrey Loria out on their respective ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment