Thursday, April 16, 2009

Stalking teh innernets

Last year, Football Outsiders auditioned for a new guest writer. I entered the competition, but did not win, perhaps because the editors looked at my screen name and realized that linking the Lions and FO would be a bad move at that point. Technically, it would be an indirect link, because I would have posted under my real name – no, I haven't changed it yet, people can't spell zlionsfan any better than they can spell my last name, so not only would I not change it, I'm still hoping that someone like Angie Harmon comes to her senses and falls madly in love with me so I can marry her and take her name – but now you've made me ruin the joke by explaining it. Thanks.

Anyway, Baseball Prospectus is doing a similar thing this year: basically, an online writer's version of American Idol. Casting call, 10 writers chosen. Write on a selected topic each week, subscribers vote, lowest-ranking person is removed, repeat as needed. This one's a little different in that it pays $1000 plus $75 per article to the winner. (I'm guessing the $75 kicks in after you win. No back pay.)

I have no illusions. I have an excellent command of English, I'm a huge sports fan and a decent writer, but those don't necessarily produce what people want to read, and if I can't get through the initial gate, well, the rest won't matter. Submissions are due by next Wednesday, so I suppose I'll find out a week or so after that.

It's too late to wish me luck. I've already submitted my article. :) Not that it should come down to luck anyway. I'd rather get the gig because I'm the best writer in the group ... if I don't get this, there's always Puck Prospectus for hockey ...

3 comments:

  1. Way to be an optimist! If I cannot wish you good luck...I will just think good thought in the direction of the selection committee.


    BTW...I didn't know who Angie Harmon was, I had to google her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Dave, you are now officially old enough to have a crush on someone who is no longer mainstream.

    Make sure you tell us when you're in the final 10. We'll vote for you over and over and over... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was never into mainstream women.

    Um ... unfortunately, the "subscriber" part involves money. Paid subscribers. So I don't think you'll be able to vote for me ... but thanks anyway!

    ReplyDelete