Sunday, July 06, 2008

You're talking about what?

Today, I saw one of the greatest tennis matches ever. I'm not much of a tennis fan, although I do watch occasionally (well, sometimes I watch for tennis, and sometimes for, well ... I'd guess I followed women's tennis to some degree since my teens), but even I could appreciate what was happening here.

Roger Federer is one of the best players in the modern era, perhaps one of the best ever. He's dominated tennis like very few in history. On the other side, Rafael Nadal is one of the best young players in the modern era, but prior to this year, very few people knew how good he was, other than on clay (he's won the French Open four straight times, the last three over Federer). If it weren't for the one, the other might be dominating in a way that would make Tiger jealous, although some might say the competition from the one spurs the other ...

Anyway, for a change, Nadal beat Federer on grass, snapping Federer's streak of Wimbledon titles at 5 ... he nearly took it in straight sets, then Federer won two straight tiebreakers to force a fifth set, but he couldn't break Nadal's serve in the final three sets (no fifth-set tiebreaker at Wimbledon), and instead of becoming the first man in over 80 years to come back from two sets down, Nadal becomes the first in a quarter-century to win the French and Wimbledon in the same year.

It'll be on ESPN Classic tomorrow at 7 PM. I recommend you watch it ... it'll mean so much more than I could explain.


Random thought: my iPhone wasn't holding a charge very well, only going up to about 80% and draining more and more quickly. Finally, it ran out yesterday, so today I got it charged ... and it's back up to 100%. Funny, I didn't know it was one of those batteries. Good thing, too, because it's the standard can't-replace-it-for-less-than-a-fortune Apple battery.

Well, you know, Microsoft and Apple have more in common than you think

1 comment: