Saturday, July 12, 2008

Apple ~= Microsoft

Oh yes they are.

This is how the iTunes update process works now ... if you let iTunes do it, it tries to force Safari on you (pre-checked, but no thanks, already got Firefox, move along, please), makes you shut down all your "QuickTime" apps (I've played a QuickTime movie maybe once ever), hides the setup file someplace you can't find in case you aren't ready to shut down yet so you have to download it all over again, blah blah blah.

Of course, if you have an iPhone, you have to do all that before you can even consider updating it. (Not syncing, updating.)

not fun.

Never mind that my iPhone is mysteriously neither charging well nor holding a charge well.

At least Apple's customer service is still (mostly) good. If there were a Microsoft Store in town, I would take in my mPhone, and they would agree that it wasn't working, but point out how wonderful the new mPhone Vista was, and wouldn't I like to upgrade to that instead? (They can even get me the upgrade price!)

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more thing: apparently it installs Bonjour as well, whether you want it or not.

I don't, especially because no one even asked me if I wanted it. (At least QuickTime is labeled as part of the installation.) Thankfully, my firewall dutifully asked me if it should let Bonjour do its thing, and I said no. I'm a little touchy about unknown applications trying to access things on my network.

No comments:

Post a Comment