Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"Microsoft sucks" is redundant

Today's battle: the Add a Printer wizard doesn't work. (Of course, the real battle is getting my non-USB LaserJet 4 to work with XP ...) Naturally, the solution is to update Internet Explorer. Glad to see it's not a vital part of the Windows operating environment.

Anyway, it didn't work. IE, that is. So how do you update it? Why, through Windows Update, of course, which requires ... IE. Yeah, that's what I said too.

So I had to download IE again and install it over the old copy, and of course it has to lock all these system files (but of course, it's not integrated into Windows) and it locks up my laptop big-time. Hard reboot follows, and I finally get the problem solved.

No wonder people make big bucks installing software. Some of this crap is just too much for the average user to go through.

No comments:

Post a Comment