Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Awesome!

Just got back from the Cheap Trick/Heart/Journey concert. Awesome show. I saw Journey last year with Def Leppard, and Cheap Trick about 20 years ago at Purdue with some strange opening band I couldn't name, but I've never seen Heart.

Cheap Trick was about what I expected, a decent opener, played most of the good songs (except Ain't That a Shame; you could add Don't Be Cruel and Magical Mystery Tour for good covers) and a few I couldn't remember. I always laugh when I hear them introduce Bun E. Carlos. It's amazing that they're all still touring, you know?

Heart was excellent: I knew all but one song, and they covered Going to California, and to my surprise, Love Reign O'er Me, complete with the violins (well, synthesizers, but you know what I mean). I will say that the years have not been kind to Ann Wilson, but she can still sing.

Journey was awesome. The new singer is very good. I can't imagine what he must be thinking right now ... going from covering Journey to being the lead singer, well, I don't know how you could describe that. Anyway, they're one of the best bands to sing to that I've ever seen, and they did their set list very well. When they went from Open Arms to Don't Stop Believin' to Faithfully, well, let's just say it got a little dusty out there.

We didn't stay through the end of the set; we'd all seen them before and wanted to get out early. (And boy, did we. 15 minutes to get home, I think.)

Three solid bands for $25, and that included parking. They don't make deals like that very often, boys and girls. I would highly recommend seeing this tour if it comes to a city near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment