Friday, November 21, 2008

Retained

So Tuesday, I have my super-six-month checkups (dentist, orthodontist, eyes - it just happened that way). Well, eyes are every year, but you know what I mean.

And the orthodontist says hey, it's been a year, no need to wear your top retainer any more during the day. Only at night.

Hurray!

Oh, one thing, if it starts to get tight when you put it back on, you'll have to wear it more often. (Because the teeth need to settle in, like the bottom ones have.)

Okay. So I don't wear it the rest of the day, very cool. And I put it in Tuesday night.

It's a little snug. I knew it would be. Before, I'd miss an extra hour or two, and it was always different when I put it back in. This didn't seem to change much.

Wednesday night, a little tighter. Same thing Thursday.

So today, I get home from work, and I put it in. Yep. Looks like as soon as my retainer was out, the top teeth yelled "Party!" and began moving in all directions at once. (In a tooth kind of way - they aren't actually moving yet, they just want to.)

Sigh. And it was so close ...

2 comments:

  1. Hey take heart, the retainers will work and once you have moved the teeth I am sure that you will have teeth to be proud of. I know that your orthodontist seems to have a boxful of different treatments and braces but they do work. The whole patient experience is so much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree ... I can't imagine what it would have been like to go through this 20-30 years ago! (Not just with the treatments, but wearing braces in school instead of as an adult!)

    Even with the braces on, the difference was striking. Now that they've been off a year, I don't even remember what my teeth looked like before ... it's so much easier to wear the retainer every day knowing how much progress my teeth have made.

    ReplyDelete