Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Sad but true

I had an interesting thing happen today. I can't give you most of the details, but I can tell you this much: I met a former NFL player today. He played for several years, a long time ago. (Some of you might recognize the name; many probably would not.) He was a nice guy, married to a nice woman, but it was obvious that what happened during his career had left long-term effects on him. He knew it, and his wife knew it, and they both could explain it pretty well, but they couldn't do anything about it.

I've met very few current or former players before and talked with fewer still. This was the first time I'd come face to face with what's been in the news for the last year or two with respect to former players from the olden days and what they aren't getting from the league.

Football is a brutal sport, and it exacts a terrible toll on many of those who play it. I will do my best to remember that when I watch.

2 comments:

  1. Wait...so now I have to feel guilty about supporting football too? Son of a...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't think so - it's not like horse racing - but it's probably not a bad idea to think about what happens on the field. As long as you're not the type that screams in excitement after a head-to-head hit, you'll be all right.

    ReplyDelete