Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Google "plus"

I wasted about five minutes today trying to figure out how to tell Google that its phishing sensor is messed up yet again. Of course, there's no option to contact Google, because they don't believe in providing customer support.

See, I'm on this mailing list, and messages to the list, as you might expect, are a) sent to everyone on the list and b) indicated as coming from that person to the list. But because a reply goes to the list, Gmail says OH NOES, PHISHING. Every time.

There is, of course, no longer a way to report the message as "not phishing", because too many people were pointing out that Google's filter was too aggressive. So every time I get a message from the list, Google puts a band across it that says "This message may not have come from relative@example.com." Really? You're a genius. I know it didn't come from them.

And that, my friends, is just one reason why I do not intend to fall for Google "plus". Other reasons are that I don't trust Google to keep my various services separate when I want them separate, and as far as I'm concerned, Google+ is just Facebook, except Google had a history of ignoring privacy concerns way before they got into this, whereas Facebook didn't expose themselves as wanting to sell every detail of your life to advertisers until after the site had been up for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment